the Superlative (Pre-Intermediate Level)
Dubai is a changing city. Read about how this city is changing, how people feel about the change and what they think about Dubai today.
Vocabulary to Note (as used in the article):
- crane - a machine for picking up heavy things, used at construction sites
- villa - (in the UAE) a house with garden; not an apartment
- closely - very carefully
- foreigner - a person from a different country
- ruler - the leader of a country
- port - a place that ships come to, pick up or drop off things, and then go
- trade - buying and selling between countries
- tower - a tall building or other structure
- symbol - a thing which gives special meaning to something
- freezone - a place in a country to do business freely
- tourist - a person who visits a different city, country or place
- century - 100 years
- decide - to choose something
- emirate - a state in the UAE
Article with Sentence Completion Exercise (Read and choose the correct words to complete each sentence.):
Dubai: the Biggest and the Best
Feel free to challenge or disagree with any answers posted and offer suggestions.
The following activities may be assigned in a classroom setting in order to enable sutdents to understand the aritcle better and improve their grammar:
- After talking about the article, have students write a 25 word summary of it.
- Have students write 10 sentences using superlatives.
- Prepare a vocabulary test from the words listed.
- Prepare a spelling test on all proper nouns in the article.
- Have students write a paragraph about their favorite building in Dubai.
- Have students write a paragraph about one of the UAE's leaders.
- Have students tell whether they think change in the UAE is good or bad and why.